Translate

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Freeloader Vacation Spot

While I was in the Navy we lived in Hawaii for three years. A friend of mine, who lived down the street in the Navy housing, once told me of a relative who called him from the Honolulu airport. The conversation that he related went something like this after the phone rang.

“Hello.”

“Hey, Mike, how are you?”

“Well, I’m fine, who is this?”

“It’s Uncle Eddie.”

“Who?”

“Uncle Eddie, you know, we met at the family reunion that they had when Aunt Mildred died a couple years ago.”

“Oh yeah, I remember you now but I thought that we were cousins.”

“Well, yeah, but I feel more like an uncle being that you’re the same age as my own kids.”

“Well… okay but what’s up? Why are you calling?”

“Your aunt and I are here at the Honolulu airport. We came to Hawaii for vacation.”

Mike’s warning alarms went off like July Fourth fireworks. He sidestepped what he suspected was coming.

“That’s great. There is a lot to do and see in Hawaii. Which hotel are you staying at?”

“I thought that we could just stay with you.”

It was as Mike suspected. He acted as if he didn't hear Eddie’s last statement.

“How was the trip?”

“We’re a little tired but it wasn't bad. We just got our luggage here at the airport.”

“You'll feel better after you get checked into your hotel and get a nap. Which hotel did you say that you were staying at?”

“Well… I really hoped that we could stay with you.”

“So, are you planning to get over to any of the other islands while you here?”

“We’re not sure. We haven’t thought that far ahead.”

“I really sorry Eddie but I have to cut this short. I work really crazy hours and I have to get ready to go on duty tonight. I’ll tell you what, though. Give me another call, in the next few days, and we’ll see if we can find time to get together while you’re here.”

For some reason, Uncle Eddie didn't call again.

Visitors: Planned, Unannounced and Otherwise is a related story.

No comments:

Post a Comment